Earth Day Network has designed materials especially for local officials. Their Toolkit for Cities and Local Leaders contains ideas for actions and resources to help municipalities participate in Earth Day 2019's Protect Our Species campaign.
To maximize the impact of Earth Day 2019, the Earth Day Network is asking mayors, council members and municipal staff to consider taking the following actions to inspire change in their communities:
- Promote and adopt biodiversity policies and initiatives.
- Organize a Global Day of Conversation to present relevant constituencies and the media with current initiatives and announce new plans to protect species and biodiversity.
- Issue a Proclamation recognizing the vital importance of protecting our species and declaring April 22, 2019 as Earth Day.
- Conduct a "Protect Our Species" communications campaign using #EarthDay2019 and #ProtectOurSpecies and tagging @EarthDayNetwork to connect with other Earth Day events around the world.
- Become an Earth Day 2019 Partner City by sharing the city’s plans to take action on Earth Day 2019 and registering at: www.earthday.org/registeryourcity.