The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is available statewide and provides Maryland households with financial relief toward water and/or wastewater bills. Eligible households may receive up to $2,000. LIHWAP funding is limited, and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
To be eligible for LIHWAP, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
• The applicant (or a member of the household) must be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen.
• The applicant must be a Maryland resident who is responsible for a water and/or wastewater bill issued by a public water system or treatment works and must live at the property for which assistance is being provided.
• The applicant must submit a current water and/or wastewater bill showing accrued arrearages of at least $100.
• The total household income (previous 30 days) may not exceed the gross income threshold which is 60% of the State Median Income.
• An applicant may be categorically eligible if they (or someone in their household) are receiving one of the following benefits at the time of application:
o Low Income Household Energy Assistance (MEAP)
o Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP)
o Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA)
o Temporary Disability Assistance (TDAP)
o Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
o Emergency Rental Assistance (ERAP)
o Means Tested Veterans Benefits
You can apply for LIHWAP assistance online using the consumer portal at mymdthink.maryland.gov. If you are unable to apply online, you may request an application be mailed to you through the service hotline at 1-800-332-6347 or by calling your local Department of Social Services or Office of Home Energy Programs office. A printable paper application can be found here..
You can connect with LIHWAP Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-5PM by calling their customer service hotline at 1-800-332-6347 or by calling your local Department of Social Services or Office of Home Energy Programs office.