Members of the Maryland Municipal League Board of Directors (the “Board”) must act at all times in the best interests of the League. The purpose of this policy is to help inform the Board about what constitutes a conflict of interest, to assist the Board in identifying and disclosing actual and potential conflicts, and to help ensure the avoidance of conflicts of interest where necessary. This policy shall be implemented as follows:
1. Board members have a fiduciary duty to conduct themselves without conflicts of interest. In their capacity as Board members, they must subordinate personal, individual business, third-party, and other interests to the welfare and best interests of the League.
2. A conflict of interest is a known transaction or relationship which presents or may present a conflict between a Board member’s obligations to the League and the Board member’s personal, business or other interests, including their duty to the League Member of which the Board member is an elected or appointed official or an employee.
3. All conflicts of interest are not necessarily prohibited or harmful to the League. However, full disclosure of all actual and potential conflicts, and a determination by the Executive Committee– with the interested Board member(s) recused from participating in debates and/or voting on the matter – are required.
4. All actual and potential conflicts of interests shall be disclosed by Board members through the annual disclosure form and/or whenever a conflict arises. The disinterested members of the Executive Committee shall make a determination as to whether a conflict exists and what subsequent action is appropriate (if any). The Executive Committee shall inform the Board of such determination and action. The Board shall retain the right to modify or reverse such determination and action, and shall retain the ultimate enforcement authority with respect to the interpretation and application of this policy.
5. On an annual basis, all Board members shall be provided with a copy of this policy and required to complete and sign the acknowledgment and disclosure form below. All completed forms shall be provided to and reviewed by the Executive Committee, as well as all other conflict information provided by Board members.