Department Representative - Maryland Recreation and Parks Association (MRPA)
Michele Potter is the Director of Parks, Recreation and Culture for the City of Gaithersburg. She holds a B.S. in Physical Education with an emphasis in Life Time Fitness from Slippery Rock University, as well as an M.P.A. in Public Administration with a concentration in Management from Troy State University. She is responsible for providing affordable, quality programs and services for nearly 70,000 residents, an $8.8 million dollar operating budget, 900 acres of parkland, a multi-million dollar Capital Improvement Projects budget. Under her leadership, the Department designed, constructed and opened the City’s first two LEED certified buildings; and received awards in Smart Growth, Historic Preservation, and Environmental Service. She built the first synthetic turf field comprised of an organic infill on the East Coast in a government setting as well as the first natural play space in a municipal setting in the State of Maryland.
She has served Maryland Recreation Parks Association (MRPA) on the Conference Committee, as the Mid-Atlantic Regional Consortium Delegate, President Elect, President (2014-15) and Past President. She has also served as Secretary and Vice President of the Maryland Municipal League (MML)’s Recreation Department. She is currently President. She has been a member of the Legislative Committee and now Board of Directors for MML.
Other community involvement includes:
Leadership Montgomery, Class of 2003
Chair, Asbury Methodist Village Board of Governors
Housing Opportunities Commission Board of Governors
Names of workshops presented:
• Planning Special Events with Contingency Plans, Maryland Municipal League Convention
• Wellness in the Workplace, Maryland Association of Counties Convention
• Planning Dog Exercise Areas, Maryland Parks and Recreation Association Conference
• Best Practices in Parks & Recreation, New Jersey Parks and Recreation Conference
• Public Art, Maryland Municipal League Convention
• Natural Play Spaces, Maryland Parks and Recreation Association Conference and Maryland Municipal League Convention